Sunday, February 6, 2011

SEAGULL TESTS 01 -- sillhouetting and walk cycle

Wh-wh-wh-wh-whaaa? Can this be? I've...animated? And....used Eric Goldberg's book?


I'm doing some preliminary work to help me get into character of a seagull I'm animating. He's a pompous little jerk who annoys the hell out of a composer in hopes of getting him to write better music. Kind of like house...but better. I think I'm in love*swoons.*


So, I've been doing a lot of sketching. I'm not even gonna post a quarter of all the sketching and mucking about I've been doing. Instead...I'll show you the SILHOUETTING exercises I've done. First lesson in Goldberg's book! They're kind of squashed in with some of the sketching and notes I've been taking...but I kind of find my whole sketch dump page aesthetically pleasing, so I'll post the whole thing *cackles evilly at your pain*


But that is not all folks! I tried to do a test walk cycle. Honestly, I think its kinda blah. I like his butt wiggle. I think I'll make it more defined though. And his head NEEDS to move. Seagulls don't jerk their heads around like pigeons when they walk, so I didn't see need of that. Also, I thought I should make his head as straight as possible to make him more dignified.  But, I HAVE to move his head. Also...I was caught in the crossfire between two opposing sides. Should I make him walk completely realistic? Or, should I really push his walk cycle to make him as pompous and as all knowing as he should be? So...I kind of fell in between. Which is a dangerous place to fall into most of the time. I think I'll follow up with a completely realistic walk...and then a more pushed one. My director wants to go more realistic, so lets see how he feels about this one. ANY critiqs will be helpful!


You know what? On second thought, I'm going to take a look at how Amelia and Amanda, the two LOVELY geese from Disney's Aristocats walk. They are so dignified, yet they have the cutest waddle! I might copy that as a quick side assignment...*ponders*

No comments: